So click on over to the new site
and make sure you update your rss subscriptions!
Ovaltine Chocolate Cake & Frosting...
Cake:2 cups all-purpose flour1 tsp salt1 tsp baking powder2 tsp baking soda3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder1/3 cup rich chocolate Ovaltine2 cups sugar1 cup canola oil1 cup strong hot good-quality coffee1/2 cup sour cream1/2 cup half-n-half2 lg eggs1 Tbsp vanilla
Frosting:1 1/2 cups unsalted butter1 cup cocoa powder3/4 tsp salt (or NONE if you ran out of unsalted and had to use regular, salted butter!)4 cups powdered sugar1 Tbsp vanilla1 cup heavy cream2/3 cup Ovaltine
1) For cake, sift together dry ingredients and set aside. In mixer, combing canola oil, coffee, half-n-half, and sour cream. Mix on low 30 seconds. Slowly add in dry mixture and mix on low until incorporated. Add in vanilla and mix. Add in eggs, one at a time, and mix just until combined.
2) Pour batter into lined cupcake tins 2/3 of the way full. I like to lightly spray my cupcake liners with cooking spray, as well. I think it helps them release. I'm not sure if this is entirely necessary or not, but its what I do. Bake at 350 for 10-13 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
3) For frosting, put room temperature butter in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Sift in cocoa powder and powdered sugar, mixing and taking care not to leave lumps. Add vanilla. Mix. In a different bowl, mix together Ovaltine and heavy cream well. Slowly add to butter mixture. Beat on high for 1-2 minutes, or until frosting slightly lightens in color. We're just trying to incorporate some air into it. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes with a tip that will not make it look similar to any other unappetizing thing that will not be mentioned.
Garlic Pinot Cream Sauce
1/3 cup butter
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
2 TBSP garlic, finely chopped
2 cups dry white wine
2 cups heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan. Add mushrooms and cook over medium heat until browned. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds. Add wine and let reduce by 3/4.
- Slowly add heavy whipping cream while stirring. Reduce heat to medium-low, and let come to a gentle simmer. Gradually add in cheese while stirring. Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately over hot pasta.