Sunday, August 22, 2010

Triple Berry Cream Cake Pie by BAM


P8221042, originally uploaded by Boring Tales.
To kick off this blog right I decided to make a pie tonight. Not just ANY pie though, THE pie. This just may be THE pie. It is my first crack at it, so some modifications will definitely be made in the future, but I have a feeling this one will be in my rotation for a long time to come.

I had high hopes when I went out to our long-exhausted raspberry patch and saw quite a few red, ripe berries. I headed to the house and picked and scratched and bashed my way through the overgrown bushes to end up with only 2 cups of berries. Well, its a good thing I live in Washington state and right now is prime time blackberry picking time.

So I grabbed my husband who loves blackberry picking almost as much as me and we headed the 20 yards to the patch right across from out mailboxes and got about 4 more cups.

We'd already (and by 'we', I really mean 'he', my husband is the canner in this family.) put up 4 pints of blackberry syrup and 12 pints of the sweetest, juiciest raspberry jam this week, so we (HE!) was all jammed out.

Then I remembered. I remembered the strawberries in the freezer. The local, perfect, freshly picked at the peak of ripeness, sweet as sunshine strawberries we'd been saving for a special occasion.

Clearly, this was it.

The pie is a tart and sweet combination of fresh raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries. The crust is a (duck and hide) ready-made pie crust. I love these crusts because they are 1) easy and 2) Safe for my 4 year old son who is allergic to eggs and soy as well as several other things! The topping is a perfect mix of french vanilla pudding and cream cheese, piped on in a very amateur lattice pattern. The recipe? Soon to come. Check back soon.

P8221044

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question? Concern? Criticism? Reviews? Links? Love? Hate? Friend? Foe? Leave it all here. ;)

Disqus for The Pioneer Cookerella