Monday, September 20, 2010

Cream Chicken Wild Rice Soup, via Jen B! aka Minnesota Soup

* I edited this recipe on 11/13 in response to a measurement mistake I made. I also added a bit to it and wrote up the actual, um, recipe. Who said that this blogging stuff is easy! ;)*

This is one of the first meals that my then future sister-in-law made when her brother was bringing me to their house for dinner. I was so picky and lame, I ate before I went because I thought I would hate it.

Now its one of my absolute favorite meals. I have my family ship me wild rice from Minnesota for this. Seriously. If you are in Minnesota and can find me wild rice for $1.99 - $2.99 a pound, please contact me, and ship me some. Out here in the wild west, wild rice is like gold. In the grocery store a teeny, tiny, itty, bitty, USELESS 4oz box sells for upwards of $6.00. I could probably get the precooked Trader Joe's wild rice, but really, I would just rather not.

So back to this soup. This soup. This soup. This soup. The Soup Nazi WISHES he had the recipe for this soup. Now I am sharing it with you, as it was graciously shared with me by my awesome, caring, loving, generous, sister-in-law. I love her.

Now again, back to the soup. The soup, the soup, the soup. Just kidding. Take your chicken stock that I showed you how to make the other day. Put that in a big soup pot and bring it to a boil. Ideally you want about 4-5 qts of liquid, but you can definitely eyeball it. Toss in 4-5 TBSP rubbed sage. Adjust this to your personal tastes. I like mine heavily flavored with sage.
P9151319Measure out 2 cups of this deliciousness, aka wild rice, and toss it in. Or parboil it and drain the liquid. It really depends on how much you love the wild rice flavor. Often times I parboil it and get rid of some of the 'wildness'. Other times I don't. You can do whatever you'd like! You may need to add water to the soup after its cooked if you didn't parboil it, as it soaks up a lot of liquid.


Wild rice takes about 45 minutes to cook fully. Depending on your chosen cooking method for the rice, you'll need to time the addition of the carrots to the stock. You want the rice and carrots to be cooked, but not mush, at the same time.

I usually half cook the wild rice, about 25 minutes at a simmer, drain it, rinse it, then toss it into the soup with the carrots and mushrooms. After you do that, start your roux. Clear as mud, huh?

P9151322


P9151325



While the carrots and mushrooms are cooking, take out two sticks of salted butter. Or unsalted. Whatever you prefer will work here. Unwrap them and toss them and toss them into a small pan. I use a 4" cast iron. You use what will work for you. Add approximately 1/2 - 3/4 cup flour into the melted butter, whisk well, and cook over med-low heat. It'll start to bubble.

P9151328

Give it a stir here and there. You don't need to stir it constantly, but you do need to keep a good eye on it and stir when necessary. You don't want this to burn. It'll begin to foam up a bit. This is good. Stir it every so often to calm the foam down a bit.

P9151330

After a little while you'll get something that looks like this...

P9151331

That is your goal. That is what you want. Make sure the soup is boiling and slowly drizzle this in while stirring constantly. It should thicken your soup slightly and make it rich and delicious.

Turn the now thickened slightly soup down to a light simmer. Now take 4 cups, yes, 4 cups, of heavy whipping cream, and toss it in. You could use half-n-half, but I find the cream gives it a necessary element of YUM. That's my technical term for it. Plus, I recently learned that by using heavy whipping cream you pretty much eliminate the chance of the dairy curdling. With half and half, there's always that risk. Half and half, because of the higher casein content, sometimes dislikes being cold and getting added to hot liquids. I've never had it curdle in this particular recipe, but I'm a bit gun-shy on the curdled half and half right now. Plus, cream is cream and it is full of fat and flavor and is delicious.

 Now dish up and eat. Right now. This minute. Serve with warm crusty bread and a salad.

P9151336


Creamy Chicken & Mushroom Wild Rice Soup, or Minnesota Soup
5 quarts chicken stock
4-5 Tbsp rubbed sage
4ish cups chopped chicken
2 cups wild rice
3 cups carrots
5 cups sliced mushrooms
2 sticks butter
1/2 - 3/4 cup a.p. flour
4 cups heavy whipping cream

  1. Bring stock to a boil. Add sage and chicken. 
  2. Bring a large pot of water to boil and add wild rice. Cook 25 minutes. Drain, rinse, and add to soup pot along with carrots and mushrooms.
  3. Melt butter in small saute pan. Add flour and whisk. Let cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown and texture changes. 
  4. Slowly add to simmering soup while stirring soup. Let cook until thickened. If necessary, adjust thickness by adding additional chicken stock. When thickened, add cream.

5 comments:

  1. OMG my friend called me the soup nazi last winter bc I would always give her some of my soups hehe. Love you humor girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I forgot to say this soup looks so tasty. Mushrooms and heavy cream, oh yea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I helped my mother-in-law make this soup a couple weeks ago. It was fabulous! I love how the mushroom, chicken, rice and sage flavors compliment each other so well.

    I was a little confused about the roux, though, which was what I was in charge of. I used the 1 stick of butter with a heaping 1/2 cup of flour (probably around 2/3 cup) that the recipe calls for, and it was so thick that there was no way I was going to be able to "drizzle" it into the boiling soup like you said ("plop" was more like it!). I was afraid I'd get doughy clumps since it was so thick, so I ended up adding at least 2 cups of the boiling soup base to the roux (and blending well so there were no lumps) to get it to an even vaguely liquid state. Is there something I am missing or doing wrong? That was my first time adding a roux to soup, though definitely not my first time making a roux.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm......it could very well be that my measurements are off a bit. I just made a butter roux today too. I wish I would've measured!

    If I over flour my roux I usually just add more butter, 1 tbsp @ a time, until its a bit thinner. It should be semi-thick, but able to be stirred. As it cooks, something happens to the flour in it and it gets thinner. Its weird!

    Sorry for the trouble! I'm glad you figured out a solution to my shoddy roux directions. I'm going to edit now.

    P.s...hoping to make it down to the big party on the 18th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps I should have been more patient! I have made a roux several more times lately and once or twice had clumping issues, too, so maybe if I had just bided my time it would have worked itself out! :)

    ReplyDelete

Question? Concern? Criticism? Reviews? Links? Love? Hate? Friend? Foe? Leave it all here. ;)

Disqus for The Pioneer Cookerella