Sunday, October 10, 2010

Chicken Tenders, Jeremiah style with homemade honey mustard...

Does this look good to you? It sure tasted good to me. My husband makes my favorite chicken tenders, ever. These are his very own creation, and I had to actually pry the recipe out of him! Ok, so I just had to ask, but actually getting it onto the paper wasn't easy. He doesn't really do recipes, he just wings it. I've kind of become the same way as my cooking grows a bit. I rarely measure during cooking, so many of my recipes are rough guesstimates on seasoning amounts. I always mess with recipes when I am following one, so I assume everyone else does too, and will just season to taste I guess! Do you do that? Its just a part of me won't LET me make a recipe exactly as written. I was bugging Jeremiah to try a panko breading for the tenders for this meal! He said, and I need to train myself to agree, "Once you get something right you just have to leave it alone."

Have I told you guys yet about the meal I am 'known' for in my entire family? Oh. my. goodness. I'll save that for another day, with another recipe. You'll love it.

So, these chicken tenders. Yes. We serve them with ultra healthy and diet friendly Mac-n-cheese (hehehe), sometimes in whole wheat wraps with lettuce, cheese, and dressing. I love the chicken ranch wraps at CrapD's, but we're trying to avoid it at the moment at all costs because of the cost, but also because we can make things that taste so much better at home, for a fraction of the price, and we can pronounce ALL of the ingredient names! Bonus!!

To make these soy-free you really have to make sure you read your cracker labels well. Some brands of crackers contain soy, some don't. Some day soon I will write a post on soy-free living. Its been quite the adventure this year after my 2nd son was diagnosed with several food allergies. No more eating out. No more cooking from a box. Not that I'm complaining. Unless its 6pm and we're just getting home and the kids are starving and I've got nothing in mind for dinner. Then, a little grumbling goes on!


2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders, cut up into chunks (or however you like them!)

Breading:
1 sleeve saltine crackers
1/8 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp Johnny's Seasoning Salt
1 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp parsley

Egg Wash:
3 eggs
1/4 cup milk

For frying:
1 stick butter
3 cups canola oil


Crush crackers into little pieces, but not so fine that they are dust. You want semi-big chunks for these. It really enhances the crispy parts to keep them a bit bigger than you normally would. Mix together with all the seasonings and flour and set aside.

Put eggs and milk into another container and whisk together until well combined.
PA071442

Coat chicken chunks in egg wash and then roll in the cracker mixture. Preheat the oil and butter over medium to medium-high heat. When oil is hot, place chicken chunks in and let cook until brown on one side. Flip over and brown the other side and cook until all the way done. (We cut one or two in half to check after the first batch is done.)

PA071458


That's it! Pretty easy!

Did you know that honey mustard was this easy to make?
PA071459
Me either. Now go, fry, whisk, and enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. wow! my hubby is from the south and loves deep fried everything! i will have to make these for him! thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been on a kick lately where I constantly crave chicken tenders in honey mustard. These look SO good. I had no idea honey-mustard was so easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These would not last long in front of me!

    ReplyDelete

Question? Concern? Criticism? Reviews? Links? Love? Hate? Friend? Foe? Leave it all here. ;)

Disqus for The Pioneer Cookerella