Thursday, October 21, 2010

So you want to make a decent marinara but don't have 3 hours?


You've come to the right place. Sometimes I don't have my slow-cooked, meaty, big-batch spaghetti sauce in the freezer ready to go. Sometimes I want a little lighter tasting, fresher, meatless marinara for a quick lunch. Sometimes I am lazy and forgot to plan anything for dinner until 5:15 and I'm scrambling for something quick and easy but doesn't come pre-made in a jar...it comes basically deconstructed in cans. I'm not really a spaghetti snob, as you've read previously. I'll eat plain tomato sauce and be happy. That said I do appreciate a good red sauce, even more so lately.


Quick meatless chunky mushroom marinana

3 TBSP Olive Oil
2 TBSP finely diced onion
5-6 medium mushrooms, sliced
2 tsp garlic
2 TBSP red wine (I use Cab)
1 TBSP sugar (amount is approximate and will depend on the sodium content of the tomato sauce you use)
1 - 15oz can diced tomatoes
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 - 15oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated kind in the green can!)
*optional several leaves of chopped fresh basil


1) Place olive oil, onion, and mushrooms in a sauce pan. Saute over medium heat until water is released from mushrooms and onions are translucent. Add garlic. Saute 30 seconds. Add red wine. Cook until wine is reduced. Add sugar, herbs, seasonings, and diced tomatoes. Cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently, until liquid is reduced. Add tomato sauce. Stir well, heat through, and taste. Add more sugar to taste, or adjust seasonings as needed. Wait until simmering and slowly stir in parmesan cheese until fully incorporated. Serve immediately with your favorite pasta.

Enjoy! I did today!

2 comments:

  1. Too funny you blog about fast sauce, and just yesterday I blogged about a slow cooker version that takes 10 hours. It's great to have alternatives. I'm going to try yours next time I don't have some in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny! I haven't seen your post yet, but I will definitely look now! I haven't done a slow-cooker sauce yet.

    ReplyDelete

Question? Concern? Criticism? Reviews? Links? Love? Hate? Friend? Foe? Leave it all here. ;)

Disqus for The Pioneer Cookerella