Friday, November 19, 2010

1970's Vintage rural Minnesota old-folks cook book!

My mom sent this to me a week or so ago, but I just got around to looking at it last night. Oh.good.gracious! I am going to have fun with this!



I especially like this one, below, from a man? who was way, way, way ahead of his time. Do you think he went to Woodstock and had long hair and tie dye shirts?





I'd also like to try these 6 weeks muffins. I have never heard of using raisin bran in a muffin before...



and this. Lefsa is prized in our family, and my sister-in-law is the sole maker of it. My husband, is especially a fan.


It'll take me months to cook through all the cookie and bar recipes in that book! I am thinking about doing an "8 cookies for Christmas" series starting after Thanksgiving using recipes out of the book.

One thing that really surprised me about this book is the amount of 'convenience item' ingredients were included. Lots of "cream of" soups, Velveeta, Whipped Topping, and some strange strange thing called "Oleo" that I neither know how to pronounce nor have ever heard of. I'm sure some of you will laugh at me, but a child of the 70's I am not.

Strange ingredients or not, I love this cookbook! Thanks Mom!

7 comments:

  1. Pretty sure Oleo is just another name for butter and/or margarine... Not totally sure, but if my memory serves me right that is the right meaning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to Google it Chare! It was all over that book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've made the six-week muffins many times around here! It's a favorite recipe on my side of the family. Have fun with the cookbook! (And you can find homemade substitutes for things like cream soup pretty easily on the internet if you want.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been loving doing the homemade cream of soups. Isaiah can't eat any of the canned kind because of all the soy in them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I LOVE books like these! They have some great recipes in them. Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nicole! Thanks for stopping by my blog...I love to make new blogging foodie friends!
    Oleo is another name for margarine (not butter)....my grandma used to call it that all the time. I have no idea where that name came from!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oleo was a product that came about due to butter rationing. You would get the white greasy substance and a packet of yellow coloring goop to mix in. My mother-in -law would wrap it in a butter wrappr and pass it off for the real deal. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete

Question? Concern? Criticism? Reviews? Links? Love? Hate? Friend? Foe? Leave it all here. ;)

Disqus for The Pioneer Cookerella