Saturday, January 1, 2011

My Mother-in-law meal..or Hamburger Steaks with onion gravy...

Once upon a time I was a newlywed and a new mom. We lived in Minnesota and had just had our first son less than a year before. My mother and father-in-law were coming over to visit, a rare and special event because they live in Washington, and were having dinner at our house. That was awesome, until I realized it'd been a bit too long since I'd last been to the grocery store, we were out of nearly everything, and I couldn't get to the store in time get something for dinner.

Off to Allrecipes.com I went. I did a quick search of my cupboards and saw I had ground beef, and onion. That was about it. I entered those into the ingredient search and found Hamburger Steak with Onions and Gravy. At that time I was not a big onion fan, but I had little choice so I ran with it. I made some mashed potatoes to go with it, and off I went. I had all the other ingredients in my pantry. It was simple enough for me to follow along with. It was fast enough to prepare while he new mom in me couldn't stand to have my baby cry for a second.

The dinner was a hit! My mother-in-law has raved about it, to almost every family member we have, ever since. Its still fairly regular in our rotation, and probably will be forever! I made a few small changes to accommodate our family.  We double the gravy, for instance, because we are sauce/gravy freaks. I also omit the Worchestershire that the original recipe calls for because Isaiah's allergies react badly to the fish used in it.

I'll post the recipe as we make it, but be sure to pop over to allrecipes if you make it and let Ann Marie Sweden how much you enjoy it!


After you mix up the patties, brown them all well in the pan...



Remove the patties and sprinkle the flour over the onions...



If the mixture looks too dry throw in a few TBSP of butter to soften it up a bit..



Add in the beef broth and sherry, the return the patties to the pan. Cover and cook 20 minutes.






Hamburger Steaks with Onion Gravy
(printable recipe here)

  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons A-1 sauce
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 cup thinly sliced onion
  • 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups beef broth
  • 3 tablespoons cooking sherry
1. Mix together egg, seasonings, and A-1 sauce. Using your hands, mash together with ground beef. Sprinkle panko crumbs over the mixture and knead in with hands until combined, but don't over mix. For into small patties.

2. In a preheated skillet place the vegetable oil. When oil is hot place patties onto pan, sprinkle onions around the patties and cook until browned, about 4-5 minutes. Flip patties, moving the onions to the sides of the pan, and remove patties when browned on both sides to a different plate. Brown the rest of the patties (this always takes me two rotations with the amount of patties I always have) in the same manner.

3. When all patties are removed, stir the onions around in the pan and sprinkle flour on the top. If there isn't enough grease in the pan for the flour to properly cook and be absorbed, you can throw in a tablespoon or two of butter. Cook 2 minutes and add in beef broth and sherry. I often use "Better Than Bouillion" and potato water from the mashed potatoes I am making. Add as much as you need to make the gravy the consistency that you prefer. When the sauce is right, add patties back into pan, cover, and cook 20 minutes.

4. Serve with mashed potatoes, egg noodles, or rice.

5/6 happy family members isn't too bad for a dinner I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question? Concern? Criticism? Reviews? Links? Love? Hate? Friend? Foe? Leave it all here. ;)

Disqus for The Pioneer Cookerella